Monday, February 27, 2012

Intruder



Year: 1989
Director: Scott Spiegel
Writer: Lawrence Bender, Scott Spiegel
Genre: Horror: Slasher

If you like slashers then I hope you've seen Intruder (which goes by a few names). If you haven't, then why not? It might have a super dull name but the contents are pretty great. Something that's always bothered me is the mass of horror films taking place in same-y locations. I tire of creepy old houses/mansions and summer camps. Intruder takes place in a supermarket.

Unlike Chopping Mall this film is able to be relatively entertaining as well. Actually, I guess Chopping Mall is entertaining but in a horribly 80s "this doesn't make any sense" way. I like this film better. The cast is primarily young adults who work at the market, but there's a few older people in management there too. Also, since it's a market and on work time there's little to no time for romantic shenanigans. Thank god. That's something else I tire of in slashers.

The characters are nicely believable and keep you interested. If there's any problem there are a few too many characters. I had a bit of trouble remembering who was supposed to be who as people were slowly killed off one by one. At least that helped to keep me guessing about who was left to be the killer. Speaking of which, the murders are pretty gory for the 80s. I guess this is due to the film verging on the 90s so there's a great deal of skill involved with each effect. Still, it's more graphic than was expected.

I like this movie a lot. It isn't the best slasher but it is a pretty fun one. Intruder is not quite a classic but it's still worthy of a viewing.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one, never seen it until the Blu-ray came out and was very much entertained.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...