Friday, April 22, 2011

Ranking the A Nightmare on Elm Street Series

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1989) - Nintendo Entertainment System

Now that I've watched all the worthwhile Freddy films I feel able to rank them based on how good I thought they all were. I still might watch Freddy VS Jason completely sometime, but that doesn't count in the Freddy chronology to me. As for the remake, I will avoid that as long as I possibly can.

So, in order from best to worst it goes like this:

  1. A Nightmare on Elm Street
  2. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (7)
  3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
  4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
  5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (5): The Dream Child
  6. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
  7. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (6)

Initially when I put this blog together I figured it would only be used for writing about movies I hadn't already seen, hence why the first two don't have blog entries. However I guess I have changed my mind now since New Nightmare is one I'd seen before.

Back on topic of the listing, there is no question that the top films are the first and the last. I have friends who think the "Dream" trilogy are dumb, but personally I thought it was pretty decent. There were some really fun effects showcased in the films too. 3 and 4 are the best though as by 5 it just feels like the story has dragged on long enough.

The 2nd movie is so terrible I hate that they had the gall to call it "part 2". However, it isn't quite as bad as 6. By that point Freddy got worn down into a silly, completely unscary antagonist who picks on disturbed teenagers. They're both pretty bad but if you absolutely need more of the series, then they'd do in a pinch.

With the A Nightmare on Elm Street series down I might go to Halloween or Friday the 13th next. I watched most of the Halloween flicks already but they're still kind of neat and I wouldn't mind a refreshing watch of 'em.

Actually, thinking of it now there is the Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy documentary that I need to watch. Apparently it is 4 hours which sounds perfectly wonderful. I had almost bought that when it came out because it came with a special poster but that time has since passed. Heather Langenkamp is apparently in the middle of directing her biography I am Nancy which you can bet I'll need to see whenever it comes out. So, it looks like Freddy will never quite die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...