Monday, May 2, 2011

Terrorvision

Year: 1986
Director: Ted Nicolaou
Writer: Ted Nicolaou
Genre: Horror: Slasher

Usually when I haven't heard anything about a horror movie that means there's not much great going on in it. With a name like Terrorvision I had supremely low hopes. However, as soon as I started watching I realized it was one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a good while.

Terrorvision plays out like a movie made in the 2000s mocking 80s culture. This is strange because it was made in the 80s and is strangely able to perfectly lampoon so much of the 80s. I don't know how it happened but it is excellent. Beyond that fact, the movie is just a huge romp.

It's a story of a family. The parents are swingers, at least they want to be. The kids are a cute little boy and a teenie bopper sister with a metal-loving boyfriend. The grandfather is an army vet and just a little bit off. They get some new satellite TV and get straight to enjoying it. Unfortunately, the satellite dish receives an alien transmission which beams a horrifying blob creature into their world. The blob monster is able to come out only when the TV is on (although it has a habit of turning the set on itself) and predictably eats people. What follows is a hilarious tale of an off-kilter family and how they handle an alien menace in their living room.

I really enjoyed the movie. It was so much better than I had thought. I especially loved that there was an Elvira knockoff known as Medusa. One of the silliest parts is when the Medusa show is about to go to break. The camera slowly zooms in on her before break however it zooms ever closer into her massive cleavage. Honestly, she was more impressive than Elvira. Anyway, it was a great time. I wholly recommend this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...