Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Scream 4



Year: 2011
Director: Wes Craven
Writer: Kevin Williamson
Genre: Horror: Slasher

Scream is one of the more creative horror series out there. I really enjoy how the story continues from movie to movie and even plays in a sort of dual reality... Like, in Scream the Stab films are based off the "true story" in Scream and it's just really cool. Anyways, it took me a while to finally see Scream 4 but now that it's on DVD I couldn't hold back any longer.

Even though the advertisements for this latest movie sort of obscured the fact that this is the 4th film in the series, it is definitely a sequel and not a reboot or anything like that. But then again, it nearly could be because it introduces a new cast of characters alongside the old ones. Either way, it's 100% sequel with some new things to say.

After the events from the previous movies everyone thinks things are finally done. It's been 10 years and blah blah blah. As per horror movie conventions though all is not over as someone new dons the Ghostface mask and starts killing.

The movie is pretty good and definitely fun but it's a little weird in parts. There is a lot of discussion about what needs to happen for a horror movie to be successful these days. It was all about how things need to be reinvented and updated for modern teen tastes. I could understand what they were saying but it sounded like they were trying to sound "hip". I don't know...  It would have been very easy to convey the messages of this movie to a teen audience in a more normal way but everything was talked about in an educational sort of tone. I really can't explain it but it just felt really odd at times the way the movie tried to be inventive but did so while pointing out "look how modern and cool I am!".

Overall, Scream fans definitely need to check it out and everyone else might want to stick with the trilogy first.

4 comments:

  1. They should have discussed how important it is NOT to make a million sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, it was a fun a movie. I didn't think it was HORRIBLE just predictable. And I felt that way too, like they were trying to be modern, hip--I don't know. It was awkward.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, that's too bad that they seemingly tried to make this one cool/hip/modern. Sounds like it doesn't totally ruin the movie, though?

    Anyway, I liked the first three Scream movies, so I'll definitely have to check this out at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev: But if they did that then how would they make their precious money? NEW ideas? What's that! :P

    Queen: I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that. For a bit I felt like I was overanalyzing it or something.

    Bryan: The movie still works it just felt really strange during the climax. That's when it tries to overload you with "THIS IS MODERN! THIS IS THE FUTURE OF HORROR!" spiel lol. I'm assuming this is the last Scream anyway so you might as well have seen them all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...