Thursday, September 13, 2012

Friday the 13th Part III


Year: 1982
Director: Steve Miner
Writer: Martin Kitrosser, Carol Watson
Genre: Horror: Slasher

So, at some point I managed to watch the 2nd film in the Friday the 13th series and managed to completely forget it. Strangely, I recall formulating the post in my head but apparently that never came to be. Either way, the second film was fairly nice but I don't remember enough of it anymore. Regardless, I'm going to truck through the rest of the series...

The third film started off with a bang, mostly because I was digging the funky opening music. Apparently Friday the 13th Part 3 is also a 3D film, although I certainly didn't get to benefit from that. There were a whole bunch of funny obvious 3D segments, such as someone holding out some pot to smoke directly at the camera. It's fair to say that no other film would probably use that scene as a time to make use of the 3D effect.

Beyond that the story isn't the most exciting thing out there but it serves its purpose. It manages to get some teenagers to visit the camp. Everyone is separated, of course, and slowly killed off one by one. This is the slasher formula perfected as much as it ever will be and probably is the case for all the films. The only problem with it is that you never really see anything new. Still, for those who like a standard film this works quite well.

To be honest, I have never really loved Friday the 13th. It must be due to not growing up with it or something because I know it's a classic. Regardless, this just felt like another film and so far nothing that creative has sprung from the series. I'm hoping that later films may change my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...